17th and Irving

Thursday, April 27, 2006

subway horror

Today on the subway I watched in horror as this woman picked her nose and then rolled the booger around in her hand and then appeared to put said booger on the guy next to her's jeans.

It was totally crowded and I was on the other side of the subway and I thought about it. What do you do in that situation? Yell. Look the other way? Say something aloud like some kind of tacky moral crusader: "Man! I would never ever pick my nose in public! And then place it on the person next to me's jeans. Ever." And then look out the window as if I was checking my hair in the fluerescent reflection.

She looked pretty indy, had a camera around her neck; she didn't look like she'd ever tried odd drugs or did dares. This is something I'm definately asking the studenten about.

Otherwise the day was pretty quiet and I'm blissfully unaware of what's happening politically this week. I've been making discs of 1920s and '30s music for my kids and watching pretty bad movies. I know the Fox News Guy Snow is now the Bush Administration Guy, but the only thing that's changed really in that equation is who his paycheck is from and how many people he'll reach. Less now. But the Democrats were enormously stupid again, trying to paint him as a critic of Bush which only might help to give Bush a dose of much-needed credibility. The Democrats are so incompetent they can't even work the satire of the Bush Administration turning to Fox "news" to their advantage. How do you fuck that up?

It's like spelling your name wrong.

I got a new phone. It's cool and all, but I haven't put people's numbers in it yet...the kids are obsessed with it. They've been telling me I need a new phone all year, and they had a point, the corner of the old phone kind of fell off, the numbers wore out and the frame was kind of separating, on the other hand, it was so functional. This one isn't quite as user-friendly, the phone-book is lame. But it has iTunes. Soon bread will have iTunes.

I've been listening to Love's Forever Changes pretty often. That album is spooky, but really brilliant. I like the horns, it really is the best Los Angeles record I can think of. You feel Los Angeles when you listen to that record. It's kind of like Wilco's Being There and Chicago or Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights and New York for me. Or the Velvet Underground and Nico or the Ramones or whatever for New York.

San Francisco to me is always Beulah's When Your Heartstrings Break because it's what I was listening to all the time when I was first there.

Back to looking up pictures for the history classes. It's almost a hobby.

Reginald_marshunion_square1933
Photogreatdepression

Picture_11_13

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home