17th and Irving

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

the edge of Bed-Stuy

Classon, off the G, was as desolate as I remembered it, broken sidewalks and some empty lots mixed in among the projects to the left and the rehabs running down Lafayette. Pretty soon it'll all be "artists" complaining about rents in Williamsburg. I ended up kind of liking the apartment, but the shape wasn't right really, and I have to admit to some trepidation after the long trip from Union Square. Perhaps usually it's better.

But with the MTA would I really want to believe that.

A politician recently brought up the fact that the MTA sucked and the MTA president spouted off the usual generalities about the MTA safely transporting 8 million people blah blah blah. What a fucking moron. I wanted to throw the paper on the ground and watch it combust. The MTA does suck, how many times do I have to buy a weekly or monthly that's only good about 18 hours a day, five days a week. The L works like it's a Tyco Racetrack. You know, you see the commercials and it's these cool, middle-class kids who will one day ease into home of their own laughing and steering these cool looking cars around this loop-da-loop track with S-curves and when you actually get the thing it's cheap plastic with cars that break after drearily circling the impossible to construct track like they were five day old balloons falling off the ceiling. How many times will I sit around and wait a dozen minutes or so during rush hour when every fucking minute is a like a nail in the coffin of my blood pressure? How many times will I give up and take a cab because one of the trains isn't running or is skipping a stop and I have to go half-way to Coney to make it back home?

For me it's just an inconvenience, something to allow me to reflect on how unaccountable are government is to us, but for other people this thing is a life-line and it's seriously frayed.

Anyway, the port business is getting weirder, but who could expect it not to? Now the company involved in buying the port turns out to be boycotting Israel and the Coast Guard is talking about security gaps and half the stories on the internet are talking about Al Queida like it already has free movement in Newark. Meanwhile, if Bush supports it, how many of his friends are about to see a big old payday? The over/under is probably around 8 or 9....

Today I talked about Carravaggio in Government class, I could see this one painting of the sacrifice of Isaac so clearly in my brain, I wondered why I was thinking about it, but I haven't been able to answer that one all day.

I spent a lot of time thinking about how little it is that government seems to change society; the driving force is technology, and it seems like we try to simply keep government from oppressing the poor to the point of revolution. What an awful equation.

Not much about the Cubs, just that Wood and Prior are both throwing without pain. Is it expecting too much that this will still be true in June?

33isaac

M_prior_082003

20030712insidepriorgil
Tx_wood_si
Busta_crab

1 Comments:

At Thursday, March 02, 2006 5:57:00 PM, Blogger Corporal said...

If Wood and Prior are still pitching in October, I will buy you a ticket to the Cubs' Pennant chase.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home