17th and Irving

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Vonnegut

"To whom it may concern: It is springtime. It is late afternoon."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Reading Bluebeard was one of the great pleasures of my life. Slight really, and not nearly as visionary as some of his other books, it carried a grace through it that I thought the author might have if you happened to catch him, on a nice day, with some time to kill. It was a book, in the end, on the virture of kindness, among many other things you could say about it.

Slaugherhouse-Five is something beautiful. It insists, like the best of Twain, on a moral order founded on the ability to scorn what a particular culture might, at any one time, hold up as an ideal of itself.

There was no pretense about Vonnegut. He wrote urgently and without the stink of academe. He had no use, as Orwell didn't, of any words that sought to do anything else than tell exact things. If one loses that exactitude, it becomes too easy to lie, or to say easy things.

Vonnegut never did that. He was brilliant and generous.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:36:00 AM, Blogger mag said...

George Orwell? I just read 1984. Very surprising yet not suprising in many ways. I'm not sure if you've read it or not but its about what he thinks our society will soon become. I often think of this as we continually increase our knowledge with new discoveries of new things or new ways to do things through technology.

I get confused sometimes though. Do we want things smaller or bigger? We want t.v.'s bigger but we want iPods and such to become smaller.

The other day I went to Borders Express and saw the snapple book of facts. I used to collect the caps with different facts on them but then i just bought a book of them. There are very interesting things in it. I'll leave one every now and then for you. Here's one that I thought was pretty funny: Mosquitos are attracted to people who eat bananas. I'm sure that mosquitos bite more than banana-eating people but I guess eating bananas should help out if you want to get bitten.

I hope you had a great spring break. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home