17th and Irving

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Quick notes...

Arrived in the rain to Las Angeles Friday morning, everything there goes green when the rain hits and it was beautiful and fun to watch all the cautious drivers, suddenly, in the rain.

I went out to Venice to visit and look around to see how everything is changing, it didn't look quite as run down, but the boardwalk still looked like something out of a Bazooka Joe comic. The waves were loud and the hills in the distance still seemed like impressive things when imagining the Spanish boats that must have crawled up and down the coast hundreds of years ago.

I drove to Vegas to see Arnab and Mac, there were a lot of Arnab's other friends as well, they gambled a lot, I watched them gamble. I gambled a little.

Mostly I walked around, I watched all the old people coming up from Arizona, and all the other people from California and Iowa running around looking to be entertained. It was what it always was, fun for 36 hours and then time to head for the hills.

Mac still makes me laugh, and I love how class conscious he is, and how quick he is to deflate bloviated pompousity. I drank quite a bit of sake, and found some good stuff. I don't drink too often these days, and hardly ever sake, but it seemed to be what everybody was drinking, besides vodka tonics, and to be honest, I think vodka tonics are what people drink when they don't really know what they like.

Then it was back to Los Angeles. More rain, it almost felt like San Francisco, which made me homesick for a place I haven't been in years now. The lights from the hills in the night reflected the same way in the same chilling rain. Fog rolled in and waves crashed, the beaches were empty save some addicts and teenagers looking for a place to make out. I liked looking at all the things the ocean brought to the land. The waves would sometimes run up the shore, soaking my all-stars so that my socks got wet and uncomfortable. I thought of something John Straight told me about wool and how it doesn't get cold when it gets wet.

Coming back to Brooklyn I thought about how I needed to start packing, how I had to write, read, move, record and apply and it all seemed pretty overwhelming. But spring is here now, and the breeze was beautiful, I fell asleep pretty quickly and didn't wake up until late, and then I stayed up deep into the night, not doing anything more meaningful or useful than catching up on all the baseball I had missed.

I'll put up some pictures next time. It's time to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home