17th and Irving

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Just back from New Orleans in Brooklyn briefly...


Turtles of New Orleans


Perfect weather today so it was a walk across the Williamsburg Bridge. I had a blister from New Orleans and all the walking there that re-opened, but whatever, it was too beautiful to care about things like that. Sometimes it looked like it might rain, but it never did and there was a perfect breeze while I watched a couple of freighters crawl up the East River. Next week I'll be back in Chicago for awhile.

New Orleans was amazing, and my favorite part was probably watching a thunderstorm come in across the Mississippi River. I love how the air feels right before a thunderstorm like that, and I love watching the river get all choppy and feel how everything, including the crickets - mostly anyway - go quiet.

Saw Harry Potter and was completely disappointed. The director couldn't direct and the writer couldn't write. Total let-down. Life went on - afterwards I had pecan pie that somebody holy made.

My writing is disjointed today - I have a million little things to do and catch up on before I leave for Chicago, so I feel like I should be getting to that stuff - but it's almost three a.m., maybe I just want to sleep?

Earlier today I saw Interview and it was pretty thought-provoking but I didn't like the last twenty minutes or so - they tacked on all this useless stuff that detracted from what was really the core of the idea of the film in order to make a point that was pretty whatever. Too bad, that.

I saw it at the Sunshine though, and I like it there - they have amazing chocolate bars from the Chocolate Bar on 13th and 8th...today I had the Chocolate & Key-Lime while I watched the movie. It was heavenly with the popcorn. So dinner was sparse.

Just finally read the Washington Post's series "Angler" on Dick "Dick" Cheney - typical but still horrifying. Sometimes I actually feel grief when I consider the American political system and the government it's destroying. And then I end up worrying about the earth. Something beyond amendments and freedoms being destroyed.

There were these awesome turtles in New Orleans - one of them, the guy that took care of them told me, he'd rescued at a Greyhound bus station: a kid was just beating on the shell trying to break it to see what would happen to the turtle and he just went and grabbed the turtle from the kid. For some reason I imagine a dusty field and a wooden and peeled paint station with people wiping their brows and looking down a broken road for the late bus, a hassled mother and an act of redemption, perhaps "For The Widows In Paradise, For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti" by Sufjan Stevens plays in the background. Those turtles were the best.


The porch at the Maison De Ville where the bed felt like a cloud.


I was all about walking and looking at trees.


I end up always taking too many pictures of trees...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home