17th and Irving

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Humidity Again

Bro called at eleven and lunch was off. School starts for him tomorrow, meetings only.

So I finished Black Swan Green by David Mitchell and, at some point, turned the air conditioner back on, which I hate to do because I miss the sounds of the cicadas and the crickets. When you have those sounds you should go out of your way for them, but I'll sit outside late tonight, when it's just crickets. Yesterday night felt uneasy, like there were things in it, and then a huge thunderstorm again just before dawn which woke me up. The rain made soothing rushing sounds between the other sounds of the storm.

Right now "Love Athena" by the Olivia Tremor Control just came on, which I love. Happy accident but I had to stop for a minute to listen and lost my place.

This is a good part of the year - so much reading gets done, a lot of thinking - but already it's mid-August and unlike other years I don't feel rested in the least. I wonder if that will make for a more difficult year?

Black Swan Green was full of all sorts of things and nearly perfect. I don't want to prattle on, but I think I respect David Mitchell more than any other writer right now. Just now, I'm thinking of the book, set in 1982, and how Tony Wilson just died, and it does seem (and now the Stone Roses just came on, ironically enough), something of my time should be preserved outside history. The feeling of it. All times deserve that. This book is about that.

Good stuff. Now I have to shower. I'll be lucky if my next book is half as good.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:33:00 PM, Blogger mag said...

hello...
I know what you mean about not feeling rested in the middle of the summer. Its supposed to feel like a break deserved from the crazyness throughout the year but apparently something in the mind prevents that from happening. I'm thinking that it didn't work out for me because of my school. We always had homework and stuff even over the summer. I thought it would be a huge relief after my senior year because we wouldn't have homework. I still have that radar that expects homework at any given moment though. grr

I'm really glad that thunderstorms are a happy thing for you. I don't think people really appreciate their beauty. I really really love them. I saw some nice ones when I went to mexico and then arizona. And the green that storms like that create are just amazing. No green like that here.
: (

I went to seaworld a couple of weeks ago and saw some jellies too. Aquariums don't get the credit they deserve. I got to sleep inside of the shark enconter once. I will never forget that.

hey!! One more thing... the title 'August is a Hum of Crickets' went spepctacularly perfect with the picture.....I don't know how to explain what I mean exactly.

You are extremely intriguing. I think its because your life is so much different than mine. I forget that people have different lives than myself and most of the people I know. Not surprising but interesting.

bye! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home